I’m so excited to announce the addition of Demetria L. Lucas to the All About You Day speakers’ roster. Being newly single again, I’m so looking forward to the words of wisdom from Demetria to help me maintain a strong mind while I await my Mr. Right. But whether you are single or married, this relationship expert can help you enjoy the experience. Come prepared to ask her your questions that she couldn’t get to answer in Essence.
A life and relationship coach, Lucas is also the Relationships Editor at Essence magazine where she pens a monthly dating advice column, Dating Guide, and selects sexy, eligible bachelors for “Single Man of the Month” and the annual “Do Right Men” issue.
Over the years, Demetria L. Lucas has shared her signature brand of dating advice on media outlets such as TV One’s Access Hollywood, The Oprah Radio Show, and The Tom Joyner Morning Show and in A BELLE IN BROOKLYN, she does not disappoint as she helps women embrace the single life—with or without the perfect man. As the confidante of many and as a keen observer of the dating dynamic, some of the tidbits of wisdom Lucas shares include:
- Men talk about relationships constantly—just not with the woman they’re dating.
- Your salary or degrees are a non-factor in their decision to consider dating you, marrying you, having sex with you, treating you well, or replacing you.
- Good men make bad mistakes. There’s a difference between a moral failing and a mistake. Forgive mistakes. Get rid of moral failures.
- To women, playing detective is generally harmless but men interpret casual inquisition as character assassination.
- Men like compliments. They respond like dry plants to water when you tell them they look nice, smell nice, did something well.
- Sex can be just an activity, like eating a sandwich or going to shoot hoops. Just because a man has sex with a woman, it doesn’t mean he feels anything for her.
Intriguing and highly entertaining, A BELLE IN BROOKLYN is an accessible read that captures what most women are dying to say but don’t have the courage to do so. With her unapologetic and spot-on-honest style, Demetria L. Lucas illustrates that being single is not a death sentence and can be quite enjoyable.
Demetria L. Lucas is the woman behind the award-winning blog, ABelleInBrooklyn.com, where she muses daily on dating, relationships and pop culture. In 2010, Lucas was profiled in a Washington Post feature story where she advised single women “not to think about the dire statistics and well-publicized odds against them but to, instead, focus on possibilities.” Prior to joining Essence, Lucas was a freelance writer for People, Vibe, XXL, Black Enterprise and ESPN The Magazine. She is a graduate of the University of Maryland, College Park and earned a master’s degree in journalism from New York University. Lucas currently lives in Brooklyn.